As you may or may not know I’m 15 (about to be 16); although you may not know that as I’ve been mistaken for the polar opposite of myself numerous times, but that’s another story. Recently there has been a truly inspiring upsurge in young musical talents, and thus a broader appreciation for youth’s work. The vast appreciation for our work has put me in awe yet has come as little to no surprise as I’ve seen such dexterity in youth’s music and visions. The goal of this mixtape has been to illuminate the young talent, each artist being below 18, about to enter adulthood, but with far more innovation and introspection than most with more years to tally on. Each of the 9 artists chose a song to cover that they listened to as children, each with an incomparable interpretation of songs that very much so shaped their childhoods. I’d also like to thank all the artists who contributed as well as Warren of Foxes in Fiction who helped me put together the album artwork, and Sam Ray of Ricky Eat Acid for letting me use his photograph for the artwork.
The entire mix is available for free download here, or click on the album artwork or the title of the post, and I encourage everyone to check out more work from these amazing talents as well as bask in whatever nostalgic song was their ‘childhood song’, for me this is the wonderful array of Britney Spears magic…so wish me luck.
1. Teenage Reverb - Get Down (Backstreet Boys cover)
2. HAPPY TRENDY - Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois (Sujan Stevens cover)
3. Since 1902 - Love Is (What I say) (INXS cover)
4. Faux Fur - Working For The Weekend (Loverboy cover)
5. KYNAN - Purple Rain (Prince cover)
6. Galapagos - Tearin’ Up My Heart (N’SYNC cover)
7. Wonder Bear - This Little Light of Mine (Harry Dixon Loes cover)
8. Augusta Dayton (feat. Sam Peters) - Sascha (Jolie Holland cover)
9. Catwalk - Christmas Don’t Be Late (Alvin & The Chipmunks cover)